Tuesday 20 April 2010

Interview!

Below is the results of an interview with Leeds based screen printed and illustrator Helen Entwistle, Hello Memo.

1. If first, could you please describe your own design practice and a little bit about yourself, what influences you & your designs. I work as a freelance illustrator and make stationery and other handmade products under the name of 'Memo'.  I coined the name during the second year of my degree in 2005, it comes from my love for stationery, I collect notepads (memo pads), pens, erasers, way too much stuff.  Alongside stationery I also collect objects and memorabilia from the 1940s-60s.  I love things that have a history, another life before they came to live with me.  My collections primarily form the basis for my illustrations and product designs.  Hobbies, pass times and day to day life also provide me with ideas for my work.  My work is handmade, this is something that is very important to me, hand-stitched or hand-printed, no mass-producing here.

2. How did you begin your journey to being the illustrator/designer/etc you are today? Where do you see your self going? What would you ideally like for the future?  I decided what I wanted to do aged 17 when I first had a go at screen printing during my AS-levels.  It has been something I have loved ever since and used to produce products and prints. I completed A-levels and an art foundation course in Chorley, Lancashire and then a Ba(hons) degree in Visual Studies at Norwich School of Art and Design in 2007.   Now I live in Leeds and spend my time creating new work, finding new stockists, promoting my work via the internet and collecting good things.  I set myself little goals each week and hope that one day Memo will be stocked in Little Otsu in San Fransisco, that would be a big achievement for me.  I just keep on going, try and keep myself motivated and drink a bit too much coffee.

3. Contemporary craft and illustration is becoming more popular each day, yet a lot of it sectors are still heavily female dominated, for you personally, why do you think this is and your opinions on it?  I think a lot of what classes as contemporary craft is definitely female orientated, so are the buyers.  Girls like to sit and make things.  Some areas such as zine making and poster illustration involve more of a mix of male and female makers.  I think it depends on the products and their target audience.  I don't think it matters too much that a lot of craft is female dominated, males just don't seem interested in making jewellery, fluffy toys and bags which is understandable really.  Those males I know of that do make such items are successful and not treated any differently to female makers.


4. A more corporate application of this kind of design is springing up alot these days within advertising, 'twee' indie style adverts are abundant now and more low-fi approaches to advertising etc are appearing, what do you make of this? Do you feel it's a fad that corporations are using to appeal to a more young & independent audience? Etc. How do you feel this will effect the independent craft community and the working artists within it?  Advertising involves trends the same way fashion does.  I think current adverts with an indie aesthetic are definitely influenced by the rise of handmade/ independent makers and lifestyles.  I hope that such a trend is creating work for illustrators who work in relevant styles.  It probably won't last, with nothing being permanent but I can't see lo-fi advertising doing any harm to us indie makers, fingers crossed it will boost our profile and help us to make a living!






 





No comments:

Post a Comment